Monday, August 17, 2009

The Crusher of Hearts

Earlier this year I did a sketch for my daily sketch blog of a female Luchador crushing a heart and named it "Yo Soy La Reina De La Trituradora Del Anillo" which in Spanish means (or at least what meant I meant it to mean) "I'm the Crusher, Queen of the Ring." Named after the Ramones song "The Crusher".

I really liked the sketch but i wanted to do more with it and so i decided to redraw it here are a
few sketches.

I wanted to capture more of the whole scene in the painting i want to do. So I wanted to make sure to draw her as full figure in the ring. For some reason I have a habit of drawing characters too big so that they don't fit on the page, so I wanted to make sure I had the whole figure. The Idea was to make it maybe like the end of the fight and she has ripped out her opponent's heart and she is surrounded by the dead. I love little Dia De Los Muertos statues and they were my inspiration for the audence members.





















I felt that the most important part of the painting is her squeezing the heart. I didn't feel like i had a good position for her to stand in so I worked on the on some detail sketches of her of her standing in a different position planing to go back and drawing the whole scene around her when i found something I was happy with.



















In this sketch trying to iron out position and posing so she looks like she is crushing it. I was also trying to get back to the original sketch design and try and recapture some of what i loved in that drawing.





















I decided to move from here to a test painting, i wanted to make sure that I had the hand gesture correct and I wanted to make sure that I could paint her well, it has been a long time since I painted with water color so I was a little uneasy about starting it.

Here is the first in a series of paintings that I plan to do with Luchadors and in particular La Trituradora de Corazóns.

I tried a new technique where I painted over the sketch and then inked the painting, it works, but the only benefit is my black outlines are darker, so I don't know if I will do it again.

No comments: