Monday, November 1, 2010

August Halloween Pumpkin

This Halloween I went to a Pumpkin carving party on Friday at the Favors House and I decided to carve a August into the pumpkin. So I created a template to carve, my goal was to try and not cut holes into the pumpkin but have a thin layer of pumpkin for the light to shine through so I could have thinner lines.
I have never carved a pumpkin like this I usually use a knife and cut holes into the pumpkins and I had only a vague understanding of what I was getting myself into. My ideas was to tape on the template and then poke holes in around the lines so I knew where to cut. That was way too time consuming do I opted to just draw on the pumpkin with a sharpie instead, it was way faster. I took about 3 times as long as every one else to gut and carve my pumpkin. I used all if my old sculpture tools. I knew there was a reason that I kept those things around.
I was pretty happy with it. Though I think I would do something with some cut outs and some thicker lines next year. It was a lot of fun, but getting all the pumpkin skin out of the cracks was hard.
Next year I'll do the whole CT crew, August, Gilda, and Tako.

No comments: